Record of teachings from the Shankaracharya, H.H. Shantanand Saraswati
The Record is a comprehensive written archive of the audiences, interviews and correspondence that took place over an 18 year period between Dr. Francis Roles, members of The Study Society and His Holiness (H.H.) Shantanand Saraswati, Shankaracharya of Northern India. It also includes some memorable descriptions of the settings in which these meetings took place. It was clear to Dr. Roles from the start that the non-dual Acharya Advaita Tradition relates to universal spiritual truth. It is known as “the body of Eternal Religion” yet is not aligned to any specific religion. The Record has much to offer anyone seeking to deepen their knowledge of the essential true self.
When he met H.H., Dr. Roles said it was the first time he had met a fully-realised man. He felt sure he was now directly in touch with the source of a tradition he had hitherto known only in fragmentary form. Through these dialogues, Dr Roles came to realise that what was needed was not the acquisition of new abilities but a focus on nurturing those natural talents and gifts already within us.
The Shankaracharya’s responses to the questions asked by Dr Roles range far and wide. He uses simple language but the content is profound. The depth of meaning becomes clearer to anyone putting it into practice through meditation and in everyday life.
“Then we will see that the Absolute which appears to be outside and seemingly separated, becomes united with us. Then there is no beginning, there is no end, there is no inner and there is no outer – it is the same Absolute available everywhere”
The perennial Advaita philosophy underlies all of the Shankaracharya’s teachings. He wished to make this teaching understood and available as widely as possible. Please read and agree to our code of use before accessing The Record.
This is the code of use of The Record:
“I understand that the Record is provided for private or group study in the context of an oral tradition. Copying or duplicating the material is permitted for that purpose and no other. I agree to these conditions.”
The Record has been posted as a set of PDF documents, (mostly) one for each year. In order to search the record you must open the INDEX pdf first and search within that for the relevant entry.
- THE RECORD – 1961 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – 1962 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – 1964 (Revised Jan 2012)
- THE RECORD – 1965 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – 1967 (Revised May 2012)
- THE RECORD – 1968 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – 1970 (Revised Feb 2012)
- THE RECORD – 1971 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – 1972 (Revised Nov 2012)
- THE RECORD – 1974 (Revised Apr 2012)
- THE RECORD – 1975-76 (Revised Apr 2012)
- THE RECORD – 1977-78 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – 1979 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – 1979-82 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – 1985 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – 1988 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – 1989 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – 1991 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – 1992-93 (Revised Nov 2008)
- THE RECORD – Eratum sheets May 2012
- THE RECORD – List of corrections – May 2012.doc